Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not counting...

I am guessing somewhere between one and two thousand, but I really wasn't counting. I am thinking of the piles of tiny cut out paper pieces resulting from my latest artwork and imagining what they might total. Paper cutting is an interesting process, you start with a beautiful large sheet and proceed to cut hundreds of holes, while thinking about positive and negative space, until you have the desired silhouette image. The top photo is a small detail of 'Street Tree' featuring a Brachychiton acerifolous I observed in the centre median strip of a busy Redlands road. The completed work will be on show in my upcoming exhibition, Plant-Life at Redland Art Gallery.

5 comments:

  1. fab Nicola! such a intricate process. Does your brain flip inside out in the process of this? This way of working really gives the cells a work out. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candice, it was more like a physical work out by the end, took me a lot longer than I imagined, lots of contemplative time.
    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicola, It's absolutely splendid......really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful!.It's hard to believe this is a small detail, the whole piece would be lovely I can only imagine, with lots of captivating bits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Susan and Novi, Thank you for your lovely comments, will show the whole piece once the exhibition comes around.

    ReplyDelete