Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Diamonds in my eyes

Nicola Moss, 'Diamonds in my eyes'. (Detail) Acrylic on canvas. ©2010.

I have been working on this painting, trying to capture some of the features I find incredibly beautiful in stately mature trees. It is one of several recent works developed with the intention of reflecting or attributing a sense of value to the subject, the subject being plants, and more specifically native flora.

Titles for works come from many ideas and experiences. When I started thinking about concepts for my upcoming exhibition 'Plant-Life', one thought was how to represent plants in a way that reflected a sense that they are valuable. I thought about what is considered valuable today, some images of advertising in glossy magazines and marketing of 'desirable' or must have items came to mind. Could stately trees be the bling of the future? Would that be a good or a bad thing?

Thinking of trees in terms of diamonds brought back memories of my first job after leaving school. I worked in a large family run jewellers upstairs in Bourke Street, Melbourne. With around thirty staff it wasn't your everyday chain store type jeweller. I can still recall my amazement at the volume of jewellery sold. Were diamonds really rare? I am drawing a large loop of thoughts here, but diamonds are carbon compressed over millennium. I guess I'm more a tree person these days.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful work and I love the title. It's so good when a work can trigger such thoughts. Diamonds certainly take longer to form but they are almost indestructible and we have the ability to make fakes.
    A mature tree is a very precious commodity and I'm not sure that a man made tree is an alternative at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about your work and admire about you is your willingness to embrace complexity. In my search for meaning I turn to smaller and smaller parts. The intricacies of a single organ confound me so I stand in awe as you confront ecosystems.

    Wonderful painting. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. The painting reminds me of fossils. Aren't diamonds fossils? From what I understand diamonds are marketed as rare, their quantities limited to increase value but they are hardly rare.
    As I get older I value the things that are irreplaceable, money can't buy, like the sun and the moon and the simple pleasure nature brings.
    I love the painting and the concept. Thank you Nicola.

    ReplyDelete