Sunday, May 16, 2010

Snow Wood - Pararchidendron pruinosum

Flowers forming in September.

Full bloom in October.

Seed capsules in December.
I will be heading to the Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt.Coot-tha next week for installation of an extension of the bandstand mosaic, made in collaboration with mosaicist Emma Boys. Thoughts of the gardens and walks in the Australian Plant Communities reminded me of some of my favourite plants there. One of them is Snow Wood Pararchidendron pruinosum, a member of the mimosaceae family, you may see some resemblance in the flower and seed pod to Wattle (Acacia). Early in the year I noticed Snow Wood had an interestingly textured dark bark. My full attention was caught when flowers began forming in clusters on the ends of branches. By October one specimen was smothered in cream and golden yellow fluffy spheres up to 2cm in diameter. It's quite a sight and with bright green leaves, I thought of Australian colours green and gold. Two month later seed pods had formed into golden twirls. I am very much looking forward to a walk around the gardens next week, a bit like visiting old friends.

1 comment:

  1. A fine collaboration Nicola and Emma, the tile designs are beautiful. I enjoyed visiting Emma's site very much, I like the Tiwi birds.
    The snow wood pods is shaped similar to salmon beans, some very interesting plants you have in your area!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete