Monday, August 23, 2010

Still in the garden

Three weeks into August and I've realised there is more than a month's worth of weeds to tackle in my garden, but I'm still happy to see each area gradually being transformed. It's been raining again today, very unseasonal, but most welcome (makes the weeds easier to pull out), and gives me a legitimate reason for donning my new pink welly boots, Love them!

I visited the open garden of Jan and Denis (fellow members of TSGS) on the weekend. They are both passionate and very knowledgeable about Australian native plants and have created an amazing garden on a rocky, low rainfall site. Acacias, grevillea, eremophila, paper daisy and many other species were in flower, attracting a wide variety of birds. I think their garden exemplifies the idea of planting species to suit your conditions, with stunning results. The vegetable garden is also a triumph, filled with interesting varieties of lettuce, kale, kohlrabi, leek, cauliflower, tatsoi and mizuna. I couldn't resist buying a few trees for home, it's been a couple of years since I planted anything major in the garden, so this was fun. I chose a Brachychiton bidwillii, a Long-leaved tuckeroo, a Diploglottis variety and an Acacia.

No comments:

Post a Comment