Monday, September 19, 2011

Snake = mulberries for me...

Out in the garden late this afternoon, trying to encourage the chooks back into their coop, with little success. I decided in the meantime to check the asparagus beds for fresh spears, only to notice, unexpectedly, a large crop of ripe mulberries on the tree. The mulberry has been fruiting for weeks now, but at the first sign of swelling fruit a flock of figbirds turned up and have done so each morning, devouring all fruit that was remotely ripe..and unripe. I headed back to the shed, grabbed an ice cream container and began picking the sizeable crop of juicy ripe fruit. As I did so I pondered why the crop had not been eaten by the birds. Was the leaf cover thicker? Would this have stopped them, not really the tree has been thick with leaf for a few weeks....eventually I thought...I wonder if there is a snake in the tree? So I looked up amongst the canopy and sure enough looped around the central fork of the tree was a large carpet snake, no trouble to me, but hoping for a feathered feed. I continued my picking and had to thank snake for possibly the only harvest of mulberries I will get this season, unless it's still there tomorrow. Perhaps next year I should invest in a fake snake.

4 comments:

  1. Cool. I need a snake for my blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. v. cool! I got a crop of mulberries last year - when it fruited for a second time (a late summer fruiting as well as early spring) ..... birds lined up ready for the early spring crop (yum thanks for the feast) but didn't count on an extra crop (the kiddies devoured everything instead!)

    next year I may try fake snake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you stuff the snake skin you got last year???????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snakes get a hard time. I really like them :-)

    ReplyDelete