Thursday, December 15, 2011

Coochiemudlo Island


Bliss! I headed over to Coochiemudlo Island this week with Helena, for a day of outdoor work. The tide was high when we arrived with large green spheres of mangrove foliage appearing to float on the waters surface. It was very pleasant set up under the shade with a light sea breeze to cool the air. We often venture over when the tides are low, so the change was good and encouraged a fresh look at the landscape. I made a series of works on paper that responded to foliage shapes silhouetted against the bright sky. And while waiting for paint to dry lay on the sand soaking up the atmosphere...a perfect day.
Little mangrove shoots are beginning to establish in the bay we visit, it will be interesting to see how these transform over time. I went for a stroll collecting any plastic rubbish I found washed up and entangled in the mangroves, which ended up being an odd mix of party balloon, fishing line, fishing net rope and an action toy. I'm looking at rubbish in environments as part of my project work next year, will have to wait a little to see how these end up in more developed work.

1 comment:

  1. You're not going to be taking the rubbish home! I hope. I agree the first photo looks like bliss.

    ReplyDelete