Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Art and environment

'Life on the edge - Moreton Bay' ©2012.Nicola Moss. Acrylic, natural ochre, charcoal frottage, hand cut papers. 90 x 175cm.


I recently came across some information about a festival - 'Lines in the Sand' being held in the beautiful location of North Stradbroke Island at the end of June. I'm looking forward to attending some of the events and conversations during the 4 days from 27th - 30th. A number of 'artists in residence' will be creating works, presenting workshops and having conversations during the festival. One of these artists is Sharon Jewell, who I met last year at a curated exhibition in Brisbane titled 'Pace'.
As part of the festival Sharon has initiated a conversation - 'How do artists talk about environment?' A subject of interest to me and perhaps one you would also like to join in. The link above will take you to her blog post, I'm looking forward to reading more of the discussion and perhaps you thoughts.

In the meanwhile I'm in my studio working on hand cut paper pieces inspired by Moreton Bay, and a series of paintings on canvas inspired by some amazing experiences of hiking at Cradle Mountain in Tasmania, earlier this year. The Cradle Mountain series will be presented in my next solo exhibition at SALT Contemporary Art in November, I'll have more details a little closer to the time.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the link to both 'lines in the sand' and sharon's blog - its always interesting to read other folks thoughts especially regarding the intersection of art and environment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to "Lines in the Sand", its the first I've heard of it and it sounds wonderful. Am interested in going along and will definitely look into it closer to the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great opportunity to meet up with a network of artists sharing your passion.

    ReplyDelete