Tuesday, September 18, 2012

In the moment

When I'm working outdoors in the landscape, making plein air marks and surfaces, observing the environment and all the species making it up, photographing and wandering around; I also like to make some time for still contemplation. I'll put everything else away but my visual diary and find a spot to sit and feel the place. Then I record all my senses response to what I have seen, heard and felt in that place. I find it's often a good memory capture of the experience of a place, something I can reference back in the studio when making more works.

These are a few notes from a trip to Golden Gully at Hill End one afternoon - " the sky is a flat matte azure backdrop behind the sunlit trees, some vibrant in their white-grey others sombre and dark grey-brown, the rough bark shadowed and dull compared to the smooth reflective surface of the pale gums. Bird calls fills the sky. The gorge illuminates in pockets of broken light, a filtered glow of orange sandy dirt walls. Cathedral like in organ pipe form. The sky is dominant on these sunny days. Leaves hang silent from the trees, pendulous; a frog croaks. Midges hover above the trapped water pools, while ants run over the rocky pebble creek bed. One bird calls, calls, calls. Shadows grow as the sunlit areas shrink and cool air begins to fill the gully theatre. Bees buzz on the creek beds muddy water pool edges. A frog closer by begins to croak, steadily loader, rrr, rrr, rrr, until it finally changes its tune and stops. A partner bird arrives on the wing and conversation about the day begins. They tussle through the air and then admonish one another. More cool air decends, it's time to head home.

1 comment: