Thursday, October 18, 2012

Diversity

One of the challenges I've had during my residency at BigCi is working within such a broad area. The Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage area extends over one million hectares. Even in a lifetime it would be difficult to see everything that this unique landscape has to offer, far less in four weeks. Having said this I have had opportunities to glimpse small areas of spectacular wild landscapes, walk some well worn tracks and observe the diverse local ecology.
Over the last few days I have been contemplating focus, what will I reflect on, research further and make work about. Diversity of choice in a biodiverse region - I spent some time today working in an area of a few square metres outside the studio. Drawing the diversity of flora in that one little patch and the characteristics of the plants I encountered. It was a good exercise to really look and see just how much layered life is around - the mosaic of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment