Thursday, April 10, 2014

In the studio

 I've been sitting in my studio chair a lot this week, far too much really, staring blankly, thinking, more thinking. Procrastination, distraction, reading, virtual activity, more thinking. Then at night waking, scrawling down ideas which seem, at the time, if I may say, brilliant; and then in the morning - well I get the idea, but there's a whole lot of questions and doubt and unresolved areas - in other words not so brilliant. And so it has been for the last two weeks, so many ideas, too many ideas, trying to untangle them, sort out the meaning, isolate, refine. In some ways I'm trying to construct finished works in my head, trying to resolve the material, concept, application, scale, site position, etc. And as I know from experience, ideas in my head can only take a work so far, at some point the physical work has to begin - the process. Through the process of making, ideas can be refined and developed, one aiding the other. So I finally made a tentative start today, applying gesso to some panels which by the afternoon I decided I wouldn't use for the idea I was thinking of working on. But actually it was helpful, one step on the way to where ever this work is going. So now I'll wait to tomorrow and start again.
 
If you are looking for some distraction yourself, I listened to this video today of a talk by artist, Alexis Rockman. He paints works which are ecology based.

 
Nicola Moss, studio work in progress.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking is good. The greenery in the vase looks anything but friendly!

    ReplyDelete