Friday, October 31, 2014

The bridge


This post is for Deb.
I took my first walk across the historic Grafton Bridge this week. It has two decks with road traffic above and railway and pedestrian below. There is a lot of history and engineering in the bridge which you can read about here.
I enjoyed the experience of crossing the river, it's big and one of the reasons Grafton came to be, that and the timber that was first harvested from the area. I disturbed several pigeons on my walk, the bridge is home to hundreds? I'm guessing from their deposits. The textures of the bridge are great, rusted metal, weathered wood, and archways of red brick underneath at each end. The breeze of fresh air, watching water flowing strongly below railway lines and listening to rumble of unseen traffic above makes it an experience of senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment