Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chuck Close at MCA

 



MCA's recent show - Chuck Close: Prints, Process and Collaboration - WOW!
I was delighted to have an opportunity to see this exhibition when recently in Sydney. The generosity of seeing plate proofs, mylar stencils, individual wood blocks and paper pulp screens was amazing. The workings of a master innovative artist, Chuck Close extends and pushes the limits of each medium, process and scale he investigates.
It was an interesting show too, to be aware of my eyes preference for incomplete proofs. For me, many of the one-third, half-way and two-third complete plate proofs were more intriguing than the fully realised and editioned work. There is something enigmatic about the half appearing face or subject. During the printing process, proofs have more space for my eye to rest, more contrast perhaps in the very worked and still to worked areas that appeals to me strongly. The completed works are extraordinary, don't get me wrong, but I am drawn to the abstract qualities and contrasts of the proofing stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment