Friday, November 11, 2016

Forest thinking



Last weekend I joined NICA (Noosa Integrated Catchment Association) members, on their Excursion No.9, to a Farm Forestry property in Kin Kin. Looking at and walking in the forest areas, planted from six years ago to present, was very inspiring. My Thanks to Mark and Pam for opening their property to us and to Stephanie and NICA for organising another informative day.


In collaboration with Noosa and District Landcare (with council support, workshops, grant funding and hard work), Mark and Pam have transformed the health and viability of their property. The benefits of change extend far beyond their own land. With land slippage areas stabilised and connected wildlife corridors established, these trees contribute to healthy environment for the broader catchment community and future generations.


I've been reading Robert MacFarlane's book Landmarks; he speaks about the way we mark land and how it marks us. It's the trees I gravitate to, so his quote of Wade Davis resonates for me "Every language is an old-growth forest of the mind". My language being visual.



1 comment: